Tuesday, May 13, 2014

More LC 3 Trivia!


One of the things that was requested by Rony (the writer) was that we do a loving pastiche of a famous autobiography comics. At the time, I wasn’t introduced yet to David Small’s Stitches and I haven’t read Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home. In the end I picked to pay homage to Craig Thompson’s Blankets because both Rony and I love the book (although Rony prefers Habibi). In my head,  Sarong is like the Indonesian version where young Ben Anwar has to struggle with living in a religious family in the coastal town of Cirebon, how he meets someone who opened his mind, and his inevitable departure from his beloved kampung. 

If some of you are wondering "how the hell does she have a spare time to do all this plus her dayjob?" I don't. Liquid City 3 was first proposed in 2011 and Rony, Cheng Tju and I started attacking the story in early 2012--with them finishing sooner than me. The timing couldn't have been better because I *just* finished my teaching tenure and I had some time to spare. I finished illustrating it about 1.5 months (with revisions) after they were done.

No comments: